Saturday, September 4, 2010

gtg2now, ttyl

I keep my phone by the end of my bed as an alarm clock. I knocked over the charging cable this morning. It had a nice long drop. It's fine though. But if it does end up breaking, I can shoot for one of those iPhones everyone on campus has. Not that I want to buy the data plan. Unless a texting plan covers that - cause I'm gonna need one of those.

Texting. Adults do not understand texting. At all. They assume it's some fad or trend, that it doesn't have much actual reason for existing, and that real phone calls, or better, personal visits, are always superior. I used to agree: no longer.

Texting is legitimately useful, but only for college kids. Not for high schoolers (sorry underclassmen), not for business people (usually), and not for old people (sorry parents). Joking. About the parents thing. Really. Ha.

Why college kids? We live together, and we have random course schedules. This is the perfect mix for texting. Now, if you don't live with a bunch of kids, it's no big deal. This is why high school students don't need it: if you want to meet your friend for pizza, call them. You'll have to drive out anyway, arrange transportation, pick which place to go to, etc. But on campus, if you wanna do something with a friend, you can literally just walk outside and go. Just text first and bam, you're on your way.

But why not call? A few good reasons.
1) Your friends' cell phones are from California, China, and Texas. They use AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, Virgin Mobile, and then a few dozen you've never head of. Long distance charges, depending on your plans.
2) You have too many friends, so they're not all in the Fav 5. That means each call is gonna cost minutes. How many minutes are you willing to pay for?
3) They're in class. Or in a presentation. Or at a performance. They can't have their ringtone going off - and they can't chat. But they can write back "Sure, c u @ 6."

As for the random course schedules: You never know what your friends are doing (see Reason 3). So calling might not be good for them. Think of it like the difference between an in-person visit and an email. If I come to you asking a question, you might be busy, or not even there. But if I write a letter or email, you can answer it whenever is convenient. Same goes for the texts, only, they beat out email because all you need is your phone, not a whole big laptop.

Between all my classes and events, I've set my phone indefinitely to vibrate. The first step, perhaps, on the way to more texting, less talking.

Thanks to Eppie for the random corrections you make to my posts. Granted, I'm using words like "wanna" and contractions like "I'm," so it's not really English 2 here, but it's nice to keep my who's and whose in check, or fix a letter that was sqapped thanks to mistyping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Add to the conversation!