Monday, January 24, 2011

Bring More Pages!

In the acclaimed 1993 hit CD-ROM game Myst, players were tasked with retrieving missing pages from either a Blue or Red book. As pages were added to either book, the audiovisual messages of the brothers trapped inside each became clearer. Each brother urged the player to bring more pages to complete his book, and not to trust his devious sibling. The game's ending was dependent upon the choices the player made in selecting whom to trust.

The books containing Sirrus and Achenar from Myst.
I intentionally do not link to the game's Wikipedia article, considering it has too many spoilers about the game's secrets and storyline. I highly suggest trying the game, and now I desire to play it - or, since I know how it ends, perhaps its sequels: Riven, Exile, Uru, Revelation, and End of Ages. I believe my household is currently in possession of at least two of those titles.

Until I return home to procure them, however, I will have to settle for the amusements I have with me at school - namely, classes. Never to fear; even the most challenging Philosophy courses can be tackled, page by page. The only question is, which notebook?

Team "Language, Thought, & Culture" or team "Rational Choice?"
I'm not really sure what more need be said, "and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written." - Atrus, Myst

1 comment:

  1. Wow. On so many levels.

    I have the Myst, Riven, and Exile soundtracks if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? Add to the conversation!